This section is for those who are family members of citizens of third countries (non-member States of the European Union or of the European Free Trade Association) or citizens of the Republic of Lithuania who, after 2004, have not yet been resident in any Member State of the European Union.

If your family member lives in Lithuania, then, in the cases described below, you can come to him/her and get a temporary residence permit. A permit is usually issued for 2 years, and later can be renewed for 4 years. 

You may be in Lithuania as long as your family member, to whom you have arrived, is in Lithuania, unless you get a residence permit on other grounds.

If your spouse intends to travel to the Republic of Lithuania with a national visa, you may obtain a national visa for the same period in the cases described below.