Schengen visa – and for the submission of application for a residence permit
null Schengen visa – and for the submission of application for a residence permit
Since 1 September 2019, foreigners may apply for a temporary residence permit only after entering the Republic of Lithuania, except for a foreigner who is of Lithuanian descent or has the right to re-establish citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania in accordance with the procedure laid down in the Law on Citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania or a foreigner who is relocated within the company. The latter foreigners may also apply for a temporary residence permit at the diplomatic mission or consular post of the Republic of Lithuania.
A foreigner desiring to apply for a temporary residence permit may enter the Republic of Lithuania:
- In accordance with the visa-free regime if he / she is a citizen of a country whose citizens are subject to the visa-free regime. Information on the countries whose citizens are subject to visa-free regime can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at www.urm.lt;
- holding a valid Schengen visa. A foreigner will apply for the issue of a Schengen visa for travel to the Republic of Lithuania at the diplomatic mission or consular post of the Republic of Lithuania, or at the diplomatic mission or consular post of a Schengen Member State representing Lithuania. The application for a Schengen visa must be accompanied by the supporting documents listed in the Visa Code indicating his / her destination, place of accommodation (or proof of sufficient means to pay for the accommodation), documents stating that the applicant has sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and the return to the country of origin or residence, or the transit to a third country where he / she is actually admitted or may lawfully receive such funds. It is required to provide information which will help to assess whether the applicant intends to leave the Schengen area before the expiry of the period of validity of the visa requested. These documents may be accompanied by an e-mail confirmation of the reservation time for the application for a residence permit. The application for a Schengen visa will be considered and decision regarding thereof will be adopted in accordance with the requirements provided for in the Visa Code. Information on the issuance of Schengen visas can be found on the websites of the diplomatic missions or consular posts of the Republic of Lithuania or on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at www.urm.lt;
- holding a valid national visa issued by the Republic of Lithuania;
- holding a valid European Union residence card issued by a Member State of the European Union;
- holding a valid national visa or residence permit issued by another Schengen Member State.
It is noted that a foreigner who has submitted an application for a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania may be issued a multiple national visa for the period of consideration of the application, but not longer than for 5 months from the date of filing the application.
It is also noted that since 1 January 2020, a foreigner, who has been issued one or more multiple national visas with a total period of validity of one year and when less than 180 days passed after the expiry date of the visa, will not be issued a new multiple national visa as for a person who has filed the application for a temporary residence permit. Thus, a foreigner holding a valid multiple national visa and intending to apply for a temporary residence permit in order to stay in Lithuania during the consideration of the application will have to submit this application in advance - 2 to 4 months before the expiry of the actual national visa.